New York’s Next Top Makers
New York’s Next Top Makers is a community-sourced incubator dedicated to connecting independent innovation with local production.
Through its network of partners, the incubator provides holistic support to startups that are developing and commercializing new products or methods of production. Next Top Makers is growing manufacturing in NYC from the ground up.
The incubator is closely supporting six selected teams of product entrepreneurs, or "fellows" through a seven-month studio phase. During this time, fellows will work with dedicated mentors on a product startup plan and will gain access to: a network of manufacturing, design, legal, marketing, and business experts; cash to spend on business growth; studio space; and access to equipment. The program will also guide an open community of product startups with workshops and events that will culminate in a product startup plan.
Next Top Makers is helping position New York City as a leader in the new production economy, stimulating the growth of an ecosystem that is dynamic, sustainable, and equitable for all New Yorkers.
To find out more, visit nexttopmakers.com.
In its third year, Next Top Makers, in addition to providing prototyping budget and resources to six selected fellows, is also expanding opportunities for others to engage in the space by introducing a five-part series of community workshops geared at aspiring product entrepreneurs. Here are some of the key highlights to look for from Next Top Makers this year:
Community Workshop Series for Product Startups: Starting in January through May of 2016, Next Top Makers and Impact Hub NYC will engage in a five-month series on what entrepreneurs need to know to launch their own product startup, ranging from business planning to design for manufacturing to marketing to understanding users to legal. Participants will be walked through the process of creating their own Product Startup Plan over the course of five months.
Next Top Makers Pop Ups: A combination of Next Top Makers hosted events and existing community events where we showcase what is exciting about Making in New York City. Look for the Next Top Makers community at events like World MakerFaire, SXSW Interactive, and Northside Festival.
Studio Incubation Program: A customized seven-month accelerator-like program for six Next Top Makers Fellows who will receive support to develop their product company through access to mentorship, expertise, tools, a prototyping budget and other resources as needed.
Next Top Makers is funded by the New York City Economic Development Corporation with generous support from our sponsors including Microsoft, Nike, ImpactHub, and Make:Media. Program operations are led by SecondMuse, Upper West Strategies, and Imagination in Space.
2014-2015 Next Top Maker Fellows
See last year's Next Top Maker Fellows:
- BlackBox: Creates custom carbon fiber products for product manufacturers (automotive, aerospace etc.) in a way that significantly reduces the cost of production and leads to potential energy savings.
- Capacita: A game controller that allows people with limited hand mobility to participate in video games, and that has the potential to increase digital access for the physically handicapped.
- PourSteady: An automated, networked, high-volume coffee machine that creates pour-over coffee.
- Sensory Percussion: An electronic device for drummers that turns acoustic instruments into controllers for digital sound.
- Squink: An electronic circuit fabricator specializing in prototyping, Squink prints, and assembles circuits quickly and at a low cost.
Past Next Top Maker Fellows
Find out more about past Next Top Maker Fellows.