Tech Trends and Insights, Q4 2014
By Kyle Marks, Project Manager, Economic Research and Analysis
New York's Internet sector attracted the largest share of NYC's venture capital investment in 2014.
The latest figures from CB Insights and PricewaterhouseCoopers indicate continued growth of venture capital funding in New York in 2014.
New York’s total VC funding grew 53% year-on-year, while VC deals were up 7% compared to 2013. New York’s 92 deals and $1 billion in total funding for Q4 2014 were down from Q3’s 122 deals and $1.4 billion in funding.
More Report Highlights
- New York companies received $4.5 billion in funding on 422 deals in 2014. New York ranked 2nd behind California in terms of deals and dollars.
- Quarter to quarter, New York deals fell from 122 to 92, while dollars invested fell from $1.4 billion to $1.0 billion
- The Internet sector continued to drive VC investment in New York, taking in $3.02 billion in funding in 2014
- New York companies garnered 15% of all Internet VC funding and 9% of all Mobile & Telecommunications funding nationally.
- Seed deals represented a 40% share of all VC deals, as seed deal volume increased by 25% compared to 2013.
Read the full Tech Trends and Insights report for New York City here.
For all other economic reports, visit our economic data archive on the Economic and Research Analysis page.