NYCEDC Nonprofit Capital Project Planning Workshop Series
NYCEDC's Nonprofit Capital Construction Project Planning Workshop holds a series of two-day workshops designed to help organizations plan capital projects, including the renovation of facilities, acquisition of spaces, or new construction.
Fall 2016/Spring 2017 Workshop Information
Navigating the City's capital funding requirements can be difficult for nonprofits, so we're making it easy to understand with a low-cost, one-day workshop. Participants will learn how to prepare and plan a capital campaign, as well as gain a thorough understanding of the City's capital funding process with an in-depth explanation of the Capital Funding Application.
The workshops are led by a team of consultants at the NYCEDC offices. Networking time is allotted during the program, and attendants are encouraged to share their knowledge and experiences. Meals are also provided.
Fall 2016/Spring 2017 Workshop Presentation
The workshop will cover important questions, including:
How do I plan for a capital project?
How can I fiscally plan, monitor, and report on capital projects?
How do I prepare for managing a construction project?
How can my nonprofit set appropriate staffing levels?
And much more
Workshop topics include:
- Strategic Project Planning, Board Engagement, Fundraising
- Financial Oversight and Business Planning
- Design and Construction
- City Capital Discretionary Process
The workshops are designed to walk participants through the various steps of a capital program, as well as assist them with how to make changes to existing organizational and programmatic structures that need to be considered when planning a capital campaign.
Fall 2016/Spring 2017 Workshop Schedule
Topic 1: Strategic Project Planning, Board Engagement, And Fundraising
Questions and concerns regarding strategic planning and board involvement during all phases of the project will be addressed. Nonprofits will gain an understanding of the tools needed when undertaking a project.
Topic 2: Financial Oversight and Business Planning
This topic will provide a high-level overview of capital budgets and planning; cash flow to cover operating costs; and a business plan for post-construction costs and project sustainability.
Topics 3: Design and Construction
Nonprofits will learn basic construction terms; the skills to negotiate with contractors; and an understanding of the relationships between the organization, architect, construction manager and owner’s rep.
Topic 4: City Capital Discretionary Process
NYCEDC will discuss New York City’s project approval process and how to prepare for it. Discussion topics include prevailing wage requirements, the capital application process, and project guidelines.
About the Presenters
- NYCEDC Funding Agreements Department helps organizations with the New York City capital funding process. Projects that receive City funding are provided with project support, oversight, and management to completion. The Funding Agreements Department collaborates with stakeholders to contribute to the development and implementation of best practices. With experience assisting a variety of organizations to bring their city capitally funded projects to fruition, the Funding Agreements Department aims to facilitate organic, community focused growth and economic development.
Prior Workshop Partners
- Asian American Federation
- Brooklyn Borough President's Office
- Bronx Borough President’s Office
- Hispanic Federation
- Manhattan Borough President’s Office
- New York City Department of Cultural Affairs
- New York City Nonprofit Assistance Center
- Denham Wolf Real Estate Services
- Penn Flood Consulting
- Queens Borough President's Office
- Staten Island Borough President’s Office
The workshop is $25 per person with a minimum of two (2) attendees per organization and is non-refundable. This event is intended exclusively for non-profits, so prior approval is required for all other parties to attend.