Industrial Growth Initiative
NYCEDC is providing qualified small industrial businesses the opportunity to learn growth strategies from industry experts during a yearlong program.
The Industrial Growth Initiative is a two-stage growth strategy and realization program for the city’s small, established industrial businesses. The program, developed and run in partnership with Next Street Financial, begins with in-borough business reflection workshops. Through a subsequent application, select businesses participate in Future Focus, an in-depth workshop series dedicated to exploring and planning a strategic growth project.
Leveraging capabilities developed during the workshops, Future Focus participants develop comprehensive business expansion plans to guide their company through its next stage of growth. The top business plan from each of the borough workshops, as selected by a panel of expert judges, will receive two months of advisory support to help implement their business plans.
Download the application and see more details below.
2015 Future Focus Workshop Series Application
Apply now for the 2015 Future Focus Workshop series to gain the expertise to grow your industrial business! Participants in the program will get first-hand exposure to benefits including strategic planning for business growth, one-on-one support, establishing connections with large buyers, and peer networking. Topics covered in the workshop series include:
- Linking strategic planning with financial management;
- Effectively leveraging talent;
- Positioning your business with purchasing organizations;
- Leadership and management skills;
- Supply chain management and collaboration.
How to Apply
Companies interested in participating must be an industrial business, have revenues between $500,000 and $10,000,000 per year, and have 5-100 FTE employees.
Workshops will be half-day in the morning and will take place once a week for four weeks on the following dates:
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Thursday, April 30, 2015
Thursday, May 07, 2015
Thursday, May 21, 2015
Thursday, May 28, 2015
Wednesday, May 27
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Thursday, June 4, 2015
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
2014 Business Plan Competition
In its second year, the 2014 Industrial Growth Initiative Business Plan Competition had 14 participants in the Future Focus workshop series. The three winning business plans submitted were selected by a panel of judges. The winners are:
- P.A.C. Plumbing, Heating, & Air Conditioning, Staten Island: A premier, family owned and operated plumbing and HVAC company.
- Casa Kids, Brooklyn: Red Hook-based company that designs and fabricates contemporary children’s furniture with a focus on developing efficient designs that are durable, locally made, and as "green" as possible.
- Joya, Brooklyn: A fragrance house that designs and produces scented artifacts (perfume, personal care, and home ambiance).
2013 Business Plan Competition
The winners of the 2013 Industrial Growth Initiative Business Plan Competition were:
- Jessica Childs, East Coast Cultures, Brooklyn: Supplier of top quality, all natural Kombucha beverages and Kombucha brewing kits.
- David Lee, KD New York Inc., Bronx: Designer and manufacturer of premium quality knits for movement and fashion sold by retailers worldwide.
- Chris Woehrle, Kings County Jerky Co., Brooklyn: Manufacturer of all natural, 100% grass fed beef jerky growing from direct to consumer sales to wholesale through retailers and distributors nationwide.