NYC Next Idea 2013 Finalist Teams Selected
By Clay Ramel, Project Manager, Center for Economic Transformation
After two rounds of judging over the past two months, we've narrowed the field of 222 entries for NYC Next Idea 2013 global business competition to six finalists! These top-tier teams will now have the chance to come to New York City in March to pitch their ideas to a panel of elite investors and entrepreneurs for the chance to win the $35,000 grand prize.
The finalists come from every corner of the globe, and represent a broad array of business sectors:
- Glovico.org: A peer-to-peer online language learning platform (USA and Germany)
- FitUsIn: Simplified, on-demand booking of excess gym capacity (Australia)
- BUZZtheBar: Point-of-sale system for accelerating sales volume at bars and nightclubs (USA and China)
- Cortex International: Medical Ethics Virtual Experience, a module-based, interactive ethics education program for use at medical schools and hospitals (USA and China)
- Kisibox: Smartphone-managed entry security systems for buildings, apartments, and other spaces (Germany)
- PlusMe: Simplified last-minute group event planning and booking (Germany)
This fourth iteration of the annual NYC Next Idea competition featured expanded eligibility requirements to bring a wider array of teams, included U.S.-based ones with international members, into the fold. This change led to a 33% increase in entries over last year’s competition, with 40 countries and 16 of the top 20 universities in the world represented, as according to Times Higher Education 2012 .
Prizes include a cash prize pool of $35,000, an all-expense-paid trip to New York City in March 2013 for all team members, and opportunities to learn about the City’s startup ecosystem, gain access to investors and government leaders, and present business plans to a group of investor and entrepreneur judges. This year’s judges include Fred Wilson (Union Square Ventures), Roger Ehrenberg (IA Ventures), Maria Gotsch (New York City Investment Fund), and Jon Axelrod (ERA). Additionally, finalists will for the first time have the opportunity to take advantage of customized pitch-coaching sessions from Todd Barrish, CEO of Indicate Media , in preparation for the final round.
This year’s teams can aspire to the same heights of success that past winners have achieved. 2012 winners Taxi Treats have consolidated operations in New York City, expanded their team with new hires, and developed strong relationships with investors around the city. On March 13, we’ll have the chance to see which of the six finalists has NYC’s best Next Idea.