Coney Island Opens for Summer 2012!
It's officially summer in New York City! Mayor Bloomberg announced the start of the summer season in Coney Island with the opening of the beach and two new thrill rides for Memorial Day weekend. The opening kicks off seven-day-a-week amusement operations in the historic entertainment district. The two new rides, Boardwalk Flight and Coney Island Raceway, are part of the second phase of development of the Scream Zone amusement park, which, along with Luna Park, has helped draw a record number of visitors back to Coney Island since 2010. The summer of 2011 was one of the most successful summer seasons on record for Coney Island, with over 640,000 visitors taking over 2 million rides at Luna Park and Scream Zone combined.
The new Boardwalk Flight is a 110-foot free-fall ride that will propel riders over the boardwalk at speeds reaching up to 60 miles per hour and provide them with the sensation of sky-diving. Coney Island Raceway, a new 24-cart Go-Kart track, will allow riders to drive on 900 feet of track that features switchback and hairpin curves, creating an authentic racing experience.
Additionally, a number of Coney Island’s attractions and amenities will be either returning or opening for the first time within the amusement area this summer:
- Grimaldi’s, one of Brooklyn’s legendary pizzerias, will open a new store on Surf Avenue
- Flicks on the Beach, a popular free outdoor film series will return, as will the traditional Friday Night Fireworks and the Seaside Summer Concert Series
- The Cyclone Roller Coaster and Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park will be seeing improvements
- New games and entertainment options will be opening along Jones Walk
- Paul’s Daughter, Ruby’s, and Lola Star will return to the Boardwalk
- The Brooklyn Beach Shop will provide new retail and shopping options on the Boardwalk.
- Tom’s Restaurant, a longtime Brooklyn establishment from Prospect Heights, will open a new diner outpost next month
- Place to Beach, a Boardwalk-level eating and drinking establishment, will open at Scream Zone by July 4th
Coney Island’s beach, along with beaches all across the City, will also open to the public this Saturday, May 26, with lifeguards on duty daily, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Beaches will remain open through Labor Day weekend. Discover more Coney Island activities at coneyislandfunguide.com.