Announcing NYC BigApps 2013
New York City is going big with the launch of NYC BigApps 2013, the fourth annual BigApps competition to promote government transparency and innovative new technologies, at tonight's New York Tech Meetup event. Powered by CollabFinder, this year’s competition—which challenges mobile and web developers to create cool, free apps for New Yorkers—has upped the ante, offering big prizes for apps that solve big issues specific to NYC using a bigger pool of data than ever before.
This year, in conjunction with NYC DoITT, and in partnership with BMW iVentures and eBay, Inc., we are excited to make the following announcements:
- We’re challenging developers to create apps that solve big Issues facing New Yorkers in four specific areas: Jobs and Workforce Mobility; Healthy Living; Lifelong Learning; and Cleanweb: Energy, Environment and Resilience.
- This year’s cash awards total $150,000. The Grand Prize winner for NYC BigApps 2013 is eligible to win up to $60,000!
- We’re expanding our eligible data resource base. Applicants can pick at least one data set from NYC Open Data or other approved federal, state, city and private data sets and APIs; generate at least one new, original data set through the app; or mix and match any of these approaches.
We’re hosting an all weekend BigApps Expo and Hackathon on April 6-7 at eBay to help jumpstart developer efforts. Come join fellow developers, designers, hackers and entrepreneurs in a creative and collaborative space to build awesome apps to enter into the competition.
Our panel of judges features renowned experts in the field. Don’t miss the chance for once in a lifetime exposure to this prestigious group of judges:
- Dawn Barber, Co-founder, New York Tech Meetup
- John Borthwick, CEO, Betaworks
- Arianna Huffington, Chair, President, and Editor-in-Chief of the Huffington Post Media Group
- Lawrence Lenihan, Founder, CEO, and Managing Director, FirstMark Capital
- Ann Li, Managing Director, Center for Economic Transformation, NYCEDC
- Rahul Merchant, Commissioner, NYC Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications
- Ulrich Quay, Managing Director, BMW iVentures
- Danny Schultz, Co-founder & Managing Director, DFJ Gotham Ventures
- David Tisch, Managing Partner, BoxGroup
- Fred Wilson, Managing Partner, Union Square Ventures
NYC BigApps 2013 is just one more example of the City’s ongoing efforts to empower NYC’s amazing developers and entrepreneurs by awarding generous cash prizes; offering invaluable startup support, such as the BigApps Founders Network; and granting participants complete IP ownership of their apps.
Submissions for NYC BigApps 2013 are due by 5:00 PM EST on June 7, 2013 – so start coding! And help us promote BigApps by tweeting:
Announcing @NYCBigApps 2013! NYC challenges software developers to create cool apps that solve BigIssues for the City: nycbigapps.com