2015 GenTech Program
The summer program started in July. Look for a winners announcement in the fall.
Launched in 2012, GenTech is a tech-entrepreneurship program that provides hands-on learning experiences, mentorship opportunities, and events like hackathons to New York City high school students interested in transforming the world through tech-based innovations, preparing them with experience and knowledge in a well-paying and rapidly expanding field.
To date, the core summer program has helped 118 students develop 24 mobile app prototypes designed to address challenges in their communities, including education, health, and employment. Hundreds of additional students and mentors also participate in weekend hackathons throughout the year. Alums of GenTech have gone on to hold internships at companies including Microsoft and ChallengePost, major in computer science or business in college, and become seasoned participants of local and regional hackathons.
Key Components of the Gen Tech Program
The program is structured around the following components:
- Mentorship & Enterprise Discovery: Students will receive mentorship from local tech professionals and undergraduate and graduate students. Students will also visit NYC tech companies, startups, and incubators to speak to entrepreneurs and be exposed to various entrepreneurial environments.
- Business Plan Competition & Awards Ceremony: In September 2015, students will demo and pitch their finished apps and business plans to a panel of judges from the technology and venture capital community. Winning teams receive cash prizes of up to $5,000 and all students will be honored at an awards ceremony.
- Hackathons: During the fall and early winter, GenTech students will participate in mobile app hackathons alongside professional developers and designers so that students can further develop skills in coding and design, gain more experience of working with tech professionals, and continue to build a network within the tech and startup sectors.
- Attend a NYC high school with over 50% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch OR personally qualify for free or reduced lunch
- Strong interest in technology and entrepreneurship
- Availability to attend all program sessions
- Students from all high school grades are encouraged to apply, though due to the rigors of the program, preference will be given to rising 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students
If you or your company is interested in getting involved with this program, please visit the website or contact us.
Past NYC Generation Tech Competitions
View the winners from previous year's NYC Generation Tech Competition.